Au Pair in Australia Terms and Conditions
The Au Pair in Australia programme is operated by the American Institute for Foreign Study (UK) Limited (hereinafter called ‘AIFS', ‘The Company’ or 'they' or 'them'), registered office 37 Queens Gate, London SW7 5HR, United Kingdom.
In consideration of you (AIFS) accepting me for their Au Pair in Australia programme, I hereby undertake and agree as to the following Terms and Conditions:
- All applications must be completed via our online application system available at www.getaustralia.com/nanny-in-australia
- Before completing the booking process, applicants must declare that they have read, understood and accept these Terms and Conditions.
- As detailed on my application, I certify that I have at least 200 referenced hours of childcare experience (in a non-family role) that has been gained since the age of 16.
- I declare that I have never been charged with or convicted of a criminal offence.
- I understand that my application and contents herein cannot be returned to me at any time.
- I understand that failing to provide full and accurate responses to the questions asked throughout the application process (on the nannyaustralia.com website and on my Au Pair Application form), on the medical report form, at interview and on all ancillary documents, may result in the rejection of my application or termination from the programme. I hereby warrant that the information I have given in the application form completed by me is accurate. I also declare that all qualifications gained and certificates and references provided, including photocopies are genuine.
- I understand that if I am unable to provide references from relevant employers, my application may be rejected. Referees must have known you for at least 6 months in a professional capacity.
- I understand that after my acceptance my application may be withdrawn from the programme at any time, should AIFS become aware of any new information which may have affected my initial acceptance for the programme.
- I understand that any travel costs incurred upon attending my interview is at my own expense and is forfeit should I fall to pass at this stage.
- I understand that my deposit of £145 (subject to change) is non-refundable unless I am unsuccessful at interview.
- I understand that if I successfully pass my interview but then choose to cancel, I forfeit my deposit of £145.
- I understand that as soon as I have been accepted onto the programme following my interview, my cancellation insurance will be activated.
- I understand that as soon as I am successfully matched to a host family and have accepted my placement, I am required to pay my remaining balance. Payment of my remaining balance will show my commitment to the programme and my host family and will confirm my placement.
- I understand that if I cancel from the programme after I have accepted a placement, I am not eligible for a refund for any reason except bona fide illness, medical incapacity (as confirmed by a medical certificate and at Au Pair in Australia’s discretion) and all Au Pair in Australia programme fees will be forfeit as well as all third party payments.
- I understand that AIFS will do their best to find me a suitable placement as soon as I am deemed ready to place. If I refuse 3 placements for what AIFS deem unreasonable grounds, I will be cancelled from the programme and will therefore forfeit all programme and third party fees.
My Travel to Australia
- I understand that I am required to obtain an Australian Working Holiday visa in order to work as an Au Pair in Australia. I will complete all visa and screening requirements in accordance with the instructions provided by the Australian Department of Immigration & Citizenship and will be responsible for obtaining a valid passport and complying with all vaccinations and immunization required. I am aged between 18 and 30 and hold a valid passport for a country that is eligible to apply for the Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417 OR Subclass 462). Please see the Australian Department of Immigration & Citizenship for full list of eligible countries. I understand that this visa entitles me to a working holiday of up to 12 months in Australia. The visa will help me support my travel time in Australia by permitting work such as my Au Pair in Australia placement, which may not exceed more than 6 months with any one employer. It will also allow me up to 4 months of study. I understand the current cost of the visa is AUD $365 (subject to change) and this must be applied and paid for directly by the myself at the Australian government website: http://www.immi.gov.au. I am aware that the Australian Government website contains full and up to date details regarding eligibility, length of visa and the limited circumstances when a 2ndWorking Holiday visa can be applied for. In general I must expect that once a 1st Working Holiday visa is issued, I will no longer be eligible to apply for such a visa ever again. Once a working holiday visa is issued I must travel to Australia within 12 months. I understand that my visa remains valid for 12 months from the date I enter Australia. If the visa is unused (ie I do not enter Australia) I can apply to have the visa cancelled.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to consult the foreign office before departure, to clarify the current situation in each of my planned destinations
- I understand that I am responsible for the cost and booking of my flights to and from Australia. I must arrive in good time and be present at the AIFS Orientation on the agreed date. Any changes in regards to my arrival date must be passed on to AIFS and my host family.
- It is my responsibility to provide AIFS with up-to-date information regarding my arrival into Sydney Australia in order for my airport pick-up and hostel transfer to be arranged. Failure to do so may result in no arranged pick-up or transfer to my hostel. I am aware that my airport pick-up and transfer is fully operated by the hostel and not by AIFS. AIFS will co-ordinate my pick up and transfer to the best of their ability based on the information I have provided.
- It is my responsibility to obtain all travel instructions and tickets concerning my travel from my Sydney Hostel to my host family’s home. AIFS will co-ordinate this onward travel to the best of their ability but ultimately these travel arrangements are to be arranged between myself and my host family. It is the responsibility of my host family to cover any travel expenses I may incur upon my journey from the Sydney Hostel to their home/meeting point. Whilst I may be expected to cover these costs initially, I will be reimbursed at a later date in accordance to the Terms and Conditions made between my host family and AIFS.
- I understand that my host family and AIFS are not responsible for my onward travel after my Au Pair placement has ended.
- I have read and understand the Au Pair in Australia online handbook and agree that their terms are deemed incorporated in this agreement.
- I will only accept a placement with a host family whom I have interviewed with personally by telephone or Skype. I will review all Pre-departure materials and attend all sessions during the Orientation programme.
- I will be present in good time for my placement start date and will keep my host family and AIFS updated of any changes that may prevent me from arriving on the agreed date.
- I will abide by all appropriate regulations and instructions of the Australian Government and obey all applicable laws.
- I understand that if I cancel from the programme within 4 weeks of arrival (for any reason other than medical) I will be liable for the travel costs paid by my host family from Sydney to their home. Alternatively these costs may be deducted from my outstanding salary.
- As a participant on the Au Pair in Australia programme, I will provide childcare up to 45 hours per week and not more than 10 hours per day, for a period not exceeding the 6 months granted under the terms of my visa.
- I will carry out my childcare duties and other Au Pair responsibilities to the best of my abilities and adhere to the rules set out in the applicants' handbook and Orientation.
- At the end of my stay I will return to my home country on or before the expiry of Working Holiday Visa as determined by the Australian Immigration and will not attempt to return subsequently to Australia without a valid and current visa.
- I understand the support system provided by the London and Sydney offices, and affiliated offices if appropriate, and Au Pair Counsellors network. I will maintain monthly contact with my Au Pair Counsellor. I will co-operate fully with those supervising the programme on my behalf for AIFS and I agree to abide by any reasonable instructions they may give me.
- While living with my host family I will be responsible for all personal debts, such as telephone calls and petrol when using the host family car for personal use.
- I agree that I will perform my duties as an au pair to the best of my ability and indemnify AIFS, its staff, agents and all affiliated organisations from any damages, losses or claims resulting from my participation in the programme.
- I agree that AIFS may take such actions as it considers necessary regarding my health and safety during my time on the programme, including securing medical treatment for me and transporting me to my home country. I release AIFS from any liability relating to the medical care received, and agree to pay for any medical or transportation expenses that are not covered by insurance.
- I understand that as a participant on the Au Pair in Australia Programme, if for any reason I do not complete the full 6 month term of the programme, I will not be entitled to any refund of the Au Pair in Australia Programme Fee, insurance costs or any other supplementary payments for any ancillary services.
- I understand that re-placements are not guaranteed and will be subject to availability and the circumstances of my termination.
- I understand re-placements will not be offered within the first 4 weeks after arrival.
- I accept that AIFS will endeavour to find me a new placement in the event of a violation of Programme regulations by the host family or if AIFS determines that it is inappropriate me to remain with my host family.
- I understand that reasonable grounds for re-placement include but are not limited to:
- The host family’s failure to pay me my minimum weekly stipend
- My host family reducing my stipend
- My host family increasing my responsibilities beyond the time and scope stipulated
- If I receive any form of ill treatment from my host family
- My host family not allowing or reducing my free time
- I understand that all requests for re-placement must be made in writing to AIFS stating the reasons for the replacement request. Reasons for replacement must be reasonable and evidence of efforts to resolve issues will be required in order to approve a re-placement.
- If AIFS deems that mediation is possible, I understand they will arrange a mediation by telephone between the myself, my host family and AIFS within 48 business hours of receipt of my report.
- If a successful resolution is deemed by AIFS as not possible and replacement is necessary, AIFS will endeavour to replace me within 10 business days. I understand that I am required to continue my normal duties for the full 2 weeks unless otherwise agreed by AIFS and the host family
- If AIFS deems that I must leave a host family immediately, AIFS will cover the costs of 8-bed dorm style hostel accommodation for up to 5 nights.
- I understand that the cost of transfer to a new host family will be the responsibility of the new host family or AIFS.
AIFS reserves the right to terminate the Program if it determines that it is inappropriate for the relationship to continue. Violations that would be ground for termination include but are not limited to:
- alcohol abuse
- use of illegal substances
- verbal abuse
- physical or sexual abuse
- any violation of Australian laws.
- I understand that AIFS is an appointed representative of CareMed, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) to sell travel insurance, with FSA Firm Reference Number 493329.
- It is my responsibility to ensure that I have adequate and specialist insurance to cover all the activities to be undertaken during and following my Au Pair in Australia placement, whether as part of this contract or otherwise, including insurance for injury, loss and damage that I may cause as a result of my placement and subsequent travel activities.
- I understand that ordinary travel insurance does not usually cover vigorous or potentially dangerous activity.
- I understand that AIFS are not an insurance specialist, consultant or broker, and accept that it remains my responsibility to ensure that I have the appropriate cover and all the necessary policy documents.
- I understand that the Purchase of Cancellation Insurance policy upgrade is included in the Au Pair in Australia programme but is not mandatory. AIFS strongly advise that I take out insurance against irrecoverable cancellation costs.
- I understand that my contract of insurance is with the insurer (CareMed) and not with the company (AIFS).
- If I choose to purchase my own policy, I understand that I am required to submit proof of suitable medical and evacuation/repatriation coverage when my final payment is made. AIFS are obliged to ensure that my policy matches their own policy coverage levels, and I must therefore pay an associated administration fee of £30 to enable AIFS to check this. This is a mandatory requirement of the programme, and the administrative fee will therefore be included in the total sum.
- I understand that the application to the Au Pair in Australia programme requires me to disclose sensitive and private personal information. I understand that this application will be sent to the American Institute for Foreign Study [AIFS] office located in London and/or Bonn, and then to the Sydney office which is located at 10-14 Oxford Square, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010. AIFS will then provide my application to its network of Au Pair Counsellors [who are not employees of AIFS] and to prospective Host Families in an effort to obtain a placement for me in the Au Pair in Australia programme.
- By completing and submitting the application, I am authorizing AIFS to disseminate the information that is contained in my application in the manner and for the purposes set forth above. I understand that I may revoke this consent at any time and I can request access to my personal information by sending a written request to the American Institute for Foreign Study, Inc., Attention: GET Australia, 37 Queens Gate London, SW7 5HR.
- I understand that any likeness or image of me secured or taken on the Au Pair in Australia programme may be used by AIFS without charge in all media (whether now or in the future invented) for bona fide promotional or marketing purposes, including without limitation promotional materials of any kind, such as brochures, slides, video shows and the internet.
- I understand that if I have any complaint about the programme I must make it known to the Australian and UK office representatives in writing at the earliest opportunity and no later than within 28 days of my return home, so that they may assess my complaint and take such action to address it as is justifiable in all the circumstances.
- Because it is difficult for AIFS to investigate complaints after the passage of time, I agree that in all cases (except those involving personal injury or death) where my complaint is not received in writing at the registered office address within 28 days, beginning on the day that I return to the UK, AIFS shall not be liable to pay any compensation in respect of such complaint.
Law and Jurisdiction
- This contract is governed by the law of England and Wales.
- The Courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction in respect of all claims and disputes of whatever nature, arising out of the provision of the contract facilities and services and the interpretation of this contract.
- The above clause will not apply in the case of customers who are domiciled in Scotland and Northern Ireland who may elect to bring proceedings in the Courts of the country of their own domicile.
I agree to these terms and conditions.